Thursday 4 February 2016

Vegan 'sausage' rolls | Vegan Recipes

Hello, lovelies. You may or may not have been aware that I've been trying to phase a lot of vegan foods into my everyday diet. Although I'm not following a strict vegan diet yet, I'm getting there! And, after recently seeing this recipe I had to try them out! I didn't have everything handy and I don't like other things, so I've adapted them to my taste, but I think they turned out well! They're a lovely treat if you're a vegan/vegetarian, or even if you just fancy something new! 






What You Need (makes 8): 
250g Mushrooms, very finely chopped
Half a white onion, very finely chopped
Half a red onion, very finely chopped 
4 cloves of garlic, crushed 
1 large carrot, grated
1 potato, grated
Vegetable stock
Smoked paprika (about a tbsp)
1 tsp coconut oil 
40g Breadcrumbs
1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry (by all means make you own, but I'm lazy!)


What To Do: 
Preheat oven to 180.
1. Heat the coconut oil over a medium heat in a pan, and add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and just caramelising. 
2. While that's cooking, add the mushrooms, carrot and potato into a bowl and mix until they're well combined. Make up the vegetable stock and add the paprika to taste (I used about a tablespoon, but I like mine strong!)
3. Add the mushroom mixture to the onions and cook for a few minutes until it all starts to combine and soften. 
4. Add the stock, stir thoroughly and leave to simmer until all of the liquid has evaporated. Check for seasoning and add salt, pepper and more paprika to taste. Leave to cool. 
5. Once that's cooled, add the mixture to a mixing bowl and add in the breadcrumbs. stir thoroughly. 
6. Lay out the pastry and cut in half lengthwise, so you've got two long strips of pastry. 
7. Add the mixture to the pastry, in a sausage shape along each length of the pastry. 
8. Brush the edges with almond milk (I used oat but I presume almond it more popular, and it's what the initial recipe used) and fold over. 'Crimp' the edges with a fork, and brush over with the milk again. Cut each length into 4 rolls, and cut 2 holes in each roll with a knife. 
9. Pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes. 
10. And, enjoy! 

And, that's that! I think the most faffy part is chopping up all the veg, but I just pop it into a food processor. After that, they're really simple to make and they're a great treat! 


Much love, Maxine xo
Follow Me On:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and taking the time out to comment lovely! I absolutely promise I'll reply ASAP, if you want a more immediate reply feel free to tweet me @MaxineWhitneyy :) xx