Saturday 28 March 2015

Nivea Express Hydration Primer | First Impressions

Hello lovelies! Today I've got another first impressions post, featuring Nivea's Express Hydration Primer, which I featured in my recent Superdrug Haul.



Getting straight into it, I'm kinda torn with this primer. It's got some good qualities, but it's got some fairly bad points too, so I'm not really wowed by it. I want to love it, but I just don't. Yet.

Firstly, this primer claims to be instantly absorbed. Wrong. I find I need a tiny, tiny amount of this otherwise you get those little greasy balls of the product you typically get with body butters. You know the ones? Even with the tiny amount I need, it's still got the tendency to cling around and ball up when the foundation has been applied if I don't give it long enough to set. Which is fine if I've got time, but if I'm getting ready in a rush I simply haven't got 10 minutes to sit around doing nothing. 

Next, the main attraction for me; the fact it's hydrating and particularly aimed at dry and sensitive skin. Apparently this can be used as a moisturiser and a primer, which is the way I've been trying it. On my normal patches of skin, this has been working great at keeping the dryness as bay, and I have to admit I haven't missed my usual moisturiser at all. However, I get very bad dry patches around the sides of my nose and my cheeks, and I've noticed that it stings a lot when I apply it to those areas, which isn't exactly the best for a product specifically aimed at dry and sensitive skin!

However, it's not all doom and gloom! I've noticed I do get extra wear time out of my foundations with this, although it obviously varies depending on the foundation I'm wearing that day, I do typically get an extra couple of hours out of my foundations, which is only ever a good thing! Especially for a primer. 

Long story short: Although I've been having issues with this, I'm willing to keep giving it is ago. I can certainly see it's potential. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's got very dry skin, especially if it's flaky like mine can be, or anyone who tends to get ready in a rush in a morning due to the issue with it's absorbency.
I will post a full review soonish, once I've had the chance to really give it a whirl longer than a week and see if I can figure out a way around the issues I've been having.

Have you tried this primer? What primers would you recommend?

Maxine, xo
Follow Me On:

2 comments:

  1. I most definitely need to hydrate my skin as it's so dry lately with the weather. I'm glad I've stumbled across this review, it's amazing. The extra wear time with foundation seems to be a plus but I'm glad you were honest and said you were struggling with it, I probably won't waste my money on this now as it was something I was considering! Rebecca | Rebecca Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know those feelings! Oh, no I totally agree, in a way I wish I hadn't bought it either, it's so hard to work with, it's so annoying because I desperately want to love it! xo

      Delete

Thank you for reading and taking the time out to comment lovely! I absolutely promise I'll reply ASAP, if you want a more immediate reply feel free to tweet me @MaxineWhitneyy :) xx